Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Day! (3/26)

Although I just arrived in Japan yesterday, I feel like I have been here for a long time. It definitely helps that this is not my first trip to Japan and since I grew up with traces of the culture the transition has been easy so far.

I am just exhausted. I wasn’t able to sleep much on the plane, and since we landed there has been little to no down time. I hope to stay back and just sleep in one day, but I feel like I might as well see as much as I can and do as much as possible before Val, Trav, and I have to start school.



Today we went to Tokyo Disney Sea. I decided (while waiting in line for Tower of Terror) I decided that each day I am here in Japan, I’ll do at least one gutsy thing. Needless to say, actually riding the Tower of Terror was mine for the day. It was the most nervous I’ve been for a long time. When we got off it, both of my hands were half asleep from holding onto Travis. They were soo red too. Lol.

Tokyo Disney Sea was by far the cleanest amusment park I have ever been to. There were like twice as many people working here than there is at any Disneyland or Six Flags. People were sweeping leaves! Even near food vendors, the tables were immediately cleaned. The service you get in Japan is unbeatable.

The park has to make a ridiculous amount of money. At nearly $60 a person to get in I was surprised to see that it was so busy. There were two hour waits for each ride. Plus with the Disney craze, almost everyone was wearing a pair of ears or a hat. I have to think with the recession as bad as it is, some people are still doing alright.

It made me happy though, because a lot of kids were there with their parents. It was just a good thing to see. It just reminded me that some things are the same everywhere. My prof was saying that before kids with disabilities and handicaps were kept at home, because of the cultural face-saving ideals. However I was glad to see that there were kids in wheel-chairs, with learning disabilities, etc. with their parents regardless of their handicaps. It's a good sign for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment