Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Killer Fashion (3/30)

Everyone in the Tokyo area dresses very well. Japanese men look sharp in their suits, have their hair done, and are all on the metro side. I've seen a couple of guys wearing Uggs and almost all carry man bags, and designer ones that that (I've spotted Prada and Coach). Women here look especially dressed up. Tights are in, as are peacoats, trenches, dresses, and skirts. I see almost every woman wearing heels or boots everywhere.

I feel unbelievably underdressed. Although I love dresses, I hardly brought any nice coats, would rather wear flip flops than heels, and am use to the sweats and North Face jacket college norm of Seattle.

I made a decision when I got here that I would try to look and act as "non-foreigner" as possible. So I bought a SUPER Japanese dress in Harajuku and a variety of other clothes, jackets, heels, even tights. I tried wearing heels for the day. Besides dressing up to going out or wearing interviews, etc, I don't think I've even gone a whole day in heels. It definitely wasn't bravery though, it was stupidity.

I should have taken into account the amount of traveling we were going to do...I took the same route from my dorm to Kawaguchi to meet Travis. Together we went to Ueno, explored the park, found a street festival, and continued on. Next to Asakusa, ran into another festival, went shopping, and ate some really good dango (is that what is on the stick?) and deep fried mochi.



THEN Akihabara the electronic hub. Lol I would prefer to call it Geek Central. I could not believe the number of electronic stores in that area. I don't want to sound sexist, but it was amazing how the guys completely outnumbered the girls. Plus I've heard there's a lot of maid bars there too. But I just wonder, how many electronic things do you need to buy? I mean how often do you replace your camera or TV? Tons of tourists there tho.



In addition we went to check out our schools. We went to mine first 上智大学 Sophia University then to Travis' 青山学院 (I don't know if this is exactly the right kanji) Aoyama Gakuin. They are both private schools, so the experience may be somewhat different than a typical Japanese college. But idk. I still can't believe we are here till August!



We went to some shopping area too. I can't remember where tho. I remember it distinctly because I was walking so slow by the end. My feet were killing me. I stopped in one store by the Crocs and my feet screamed at me to buy a pair. But I already have some and talked myself out of it. Even at $40, I was considering getting them though, that's how bad it was. My fashion conscious is killing my feet. Stupid stupid me for forgetting my Uggs...

No comments:

Post a Comment