Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Disappointing Day

It's been a downer type of day. It started this morning when I went to campus with a group of my dormies. We left at 1. Before we even got to the station, one of them wanted to get their phone fixed. So we waited for nearly 45 minutes for that. Then somehow we ended up getting on the wrong train, got off at another station, and I had to ask for directions. In the meantime one of the girls with us was acting like your stereotypical loud American tourist. She had her earbuds in, singing outloud, was dancing, AND was drinking a can of beer. I was almost embarrassed to be associated with her. By the time we got off at the right station it was 3:15! We were 15 minutes late for our "advising." It took us 2 hrs and 15 minutes. Under normal circumstances the commute is only an hr.

I was afraid we were missing something important, little did I know "advising" just meant someone was explaining the Japanese classes to us once again...There were no advisors to meet one-on-one with and no one to give us more information about the classes we are about to sign up for. Its really been a frustrating process here. And I know that other schools like Aoyama Gakuin (Travis's school) have a much more comprehensive orientation and advising program...

The most disappointing thing had to be the Japanese language placement results. I admit I bombed the kanji section, but the grammar part was really easy. I got back the paper and it said "Japanese Intensive 180." The lowest intensive level course...I've been studying Japanese for 6 years and I'm placed in the intro course. Great.

The only advising sessions that were available were with our Japanese professors. So I went to visit mine. When he looked at my file, he said "Oh you've been studying for 6 years?" What are you supposed to say? "Yeah I know I shouldn't be in this class." Lol, it was embarrassing. He said I did well on the grammar section and asked why I didn't work past part 1. I couldn't read the kanji in part 2's sentences. I looked through the books the class uses. The main one starts with the vocabulary for body parts! Like I learned all that in the "head, shoulders, knees, and toes" song when I was 6! The kanji book started with the kanji to make 作る and works all the way up to snow 雪. Seriously?

He asked me a question like did I have a problem with the books I used? I don't know what that was exactly supposed to mean. Sure I've gone through 3 Japanese books. Its not like I'm stupid, I just can't read kanji. I know what they mean in English, just can't match the furigana with it. He suggested that this class may be a good review for me. But since it is 8 credits, it also may be a big waste of my time...

I can't decide if it would be better if I took an intensive or regular class. I don't actually know if I can switch at this point. My test was scored based on the intensive scale. I really don't know what to do. I have heard that you can complain and get moved around like either up or down for Japanese classes. I mean it could be a really good review. But since it is like two classes, I don't know if it is worth it...I do need credits to transfer back so I can graduate after fall quarter. Any suggestions anyone?! I am pretty lost right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment