Thursday, April 9, 2009

Uneventful Day: Cell Phone and 99 Cent Meat!

Today I woke up to pounding on my door. I was supposed to meet my friend, so I thought I overslept...I got up, but it was a different girl outside. It was really weird. She said she smelt cigarette smoke, implying that I was smoking. Clearly I had just woken up and I told her I am not a smoker and have never smoked in my life. She went away. When I checked my clock it said 7:35! Are you F-ing joking me?!? Who would wake someone up just to see if they had been smoking? I was not happy...

I managed to go to sleep and wake up a few hours later. My goal for the day was to get a cell phone. There is a phone company right by our station. It is really funny because they have a foreign counter catering to foreigners. However the employees speak Mandarin, not English. Lucky for me one of my friends here (who goes to SU too) speaks Mandarin. Lol she has been interpreting for everyone in the dorm! Its really funny to think that it is easier for her to speak Mandarin in Japan. It still makes me laugh.

After we went grocery shopping. First we went to my favorite, the 99 yen food store! The happiest part of my day was realizing that they sold fresh meat in packages priced less than a dollar! The perfect size and price! I decided I am going to start cooking.

Later we went for a long walk to another all-inclusive store. The store complexes here are ridiculous. It was a grocery, clothing, book, cd, kimono, accessory, sports, food court, and everything else. There was even a cleaner, key cutter, and house wears section. It is hard to explain, but consider that it was multi-leveled...In my mind, the all inclusiveness tends to cheapen things. However the kimonos were selling for thousands. I am still not used to these types of set ups. I must admit, the convenience factor has not convinced me yet.

I probably spent over an hour looking at the groceries alone. They had a huge section of frozen/prepared foods. It was like Don Quiote times two. It was amazing. They even sold yakiniku and pieces for cooked fish, ect. I wish my fridge was bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment