Monday, May 18, 2009

Classes

Although I really go through hot and cold phases with Japanese class, I really have loved my two anthro classses. I think anthro is so relevant and interesting. Of course, no chance for a job after college, but an interesting field none the less. Just thought I'd give a short update with school progress and such.

Japanese- Three hours of grammar, kanji, and conversation patters each day is pretty exhausting. I always feel really bad for the prof that comes in second period. Lol the whole class has already sat through and hour and a half of Japanese and gets pretty restless even before the second half starts. Its really hard to focus for that long, BUT I've gotten a lot more used to it than I ever thought I could. I have already learned all the grammar that we have gone over so far, thankfully! I have no idea how other people are keeping up with the speed we're going at. Everything we learn has UNBELIEVABLE relevance though.

Culture and Identity- Such an interesting course to be taught at our university. Considering that most of the students at Sophia come from non-traditional backgrounds (like were educated overseas, travel abroad frequently, are an exchange student, or whatever) this is so thought provoking. We have read a wide range of articles most recently on Japanese fashion designers, the commodification of African culture and African tourism industry. The discussions are so interesting because there are people from all over the world, with various experiences, from various cultures. So interesting.

Ethnography of Japan- The prof is really the one that makes this class great. Although he is American, he has been in the country over 20 years and really knows so much about the culture and contemporary issues. He always is very animated and shares personal examples all the time. We are currently reading Ruth Benedict's book "The Chysanthamum and the Sword" that was written in the WWII period. Talked about gimu and giri (obligations to people who made you who you are and to associates). Went over the significance of gift giving as part of it as well. I feel like I can understand my family more now or at least why they are so concerned with paying for the bill at restaurants and reciprocating. This is probably the least structured class I have ever had. But suprisingly I have been fine with it. Today our prof told us to read chapters 8, 9, 10, and 13 for next class. Everyone groaned. He was like "You guys are all babies! Ok read 8 and 9." The whole class cheered. It was so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment