Monday, May 4, 2009

Kids Kabuki

There was a kids kabuki performance at what I believe was a Shinto shrine in Hatchobori. (I still have problems distinguishing Shinto shrines from Buddhist temples. It's pretty bad, I know...). Met up with Travis and Bea to watch it.

The kids were soo cute. I couldn't really understand what they were saying, apart from the props and acting. But they took their parts so seriously. I had to keep reminding myself that they were little kids. Their performances were just magnified by the fact that they were so young and still did so good. It was quite amazing that they remembered all their lines, all the steps and moves, on and on. They just had the cutest voices when they talked. Like really high Japanese voices. I love it when kids speak in Japanese. It just sounds so much cuter than English.

Today I decided, when I have kids I will have them do something traditional like this or odori. I am sad that I never took odori lessons like a lot of my friends. I think it is one of those things that helps you appreciate and learn about your culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment