Sunday, May 24, 2009

Realizations

It seems like it has been forever since I posted. In the four days since my last one, I have had a few significant realizations:

1. I am screwed!: I think it is safe for me to say that I have not had more than 5 hours of sleep for the last 4 nights. Its not like I'm terribly busy, a lot of stuff is just coming down now, and I'm not wiling to make any sacrifices in my social life. So I am still waiting to get a decent night of sleep. I am starting to worry a lot more about my senior synthesis project. I can't believe SU will be finished in two weeks! My synth is due in 11 days. And I totally forgot until a few days ago that I also need to write up a 10 page paper to turn in for my attendance and participation part of my grade...I'm gonna be busy till June 4th.

2. Food/drinks are not as special if you have them everyday: Haha its another one of those genius things I have come to terms with. I have been eating a lot of stuff here that I would never let myself buy on a regular basis under normal circumstances. But since I am in Japan, I figure what the hell. It is a problem if you buy desserts or sugar drinks everyday though. And that is what I have had a tendency to do. It just doesn't taste as good if you are used to having it constantly. I've gone through this with milk tea, chocolate, ice cream. I finally learned...

3. School is not everything, its not even the most important thing: My mom always says, "School is your job." With that in mind I have always taken education very seriously. I have stayed on top of my work. There is so much more than classes though. And I feel like until now I have always missed out a little bit on the rest of it. For the duration of college (minus two quarters) I took 20 credits, overloaded my schedule with an extra class. Even in high school, I was enrolled in courses at the community college each quarter during my senior year. This is one of the few times I have really relaxed and just enjoyed it. I'm pretty much out all weekend now. Go out to drink with my friends Friday, volunteer Saturday, and travel and explore Sunday. It has been really nice. Wish I went out of my way before to do stuff like this.

4. I WON'T be able to do everything: This has been hard for me to accept. There are always things happening, places I want to go, things I want to do. Realistically I won't be able to totally fulfill everything that I want to do. I always feel like if I choose to do one thing, I'll be missing out on something else. I really want to travel to Kyoto, Okinawa, and Korea too. But being rational, I don't have the time or money to afford to do all of that. I think this is kinda the beauty of traveling though. There is no way to go everywhere or do everything, so you always feel the need to go back and the list of places you want to go and things you want to do is always expanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment