Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thinking in Japanese

Last night when I was lying in bed trying to sleep, I was going over conversations I've had in Japanese. My memory is terrible, so I have no idea how I even remembered them, much less why I was thinking about it at 2 am. Either way, by some miracle, I actually was recalling entire sentences I've said in Japanese within the last couple of days.

Most of them where grammatically incorrect and/or included English that I had to add for the inability to think of what I wanted to say in Japanese. I found myself correcting the sentences or trying to figure out how I could have said them better. I really don't think there is much I can express in Japanese, but really this reflection has started to persuade me otherwise. But it still takes me a while and some deep mental searching.

If you talk to me live in Japanese, it still doesn't come out very well. But whether I realize it or not, I'll be reviewing it in my head for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment